Son Chang-min's Secret Gift to Shin Hyun-joon Moves Fans

Korea's 55-Year Acting Veteran Makes Rare Variety Show Return — and Opens Up About Decades of Untold Stories

|7 min read0
Veteran actor Son Chang-min, who has been active in Korean entertainment for 55 years since his debut at age seven
Veteran actor Son Chang-min, who has been active in Korean entertainment for 55 years since his debut at age seven

Veteran South Korean actor Son Chang-min broke his two-decade silence on variety television on April 4, 2026, making a long-awaited return to the small screen as a guest on Kim Joo-ha\s Day and Night (MBN). The 19th episode of the talk show gave audiences a rare glimpse into the private world of a man who has spent 55 years in front of the camera — yet has spent the last 20 years deliberately staying off variety programs.

"I was never great with words, and I felt embarrassed. The cameras here — there are so many of them," Son said with a smile after settling into his seat, admitting that shyness, not arrogance, kept him away from entertainment shows for so long. By the end of the night, it was clear he had nothing to worry about: the veteran actor held the room effortlessly, delivering story after story that left panelists — and viewers — hanging on his every word.

The Man Who Was Mistaken for Jackie Chan

Son Chang-min debuted at the age of seven, making him one of Korea\s most experienced working actors. At 60 years old, he carries a career that spans from the 1970s through today, with iconic television appearances cementing his reputation as one of the country\s finest character actors. His imposing frame and sharp features have, apparently, caused some confusion over the years.

During the episode, panelists noted the resemblance between Son and global action star Jackie Chan. Son responded by recounting a story that drew laughter from the studio. After introducing himself to an elderly person as a Korean actor, he returned the next day only to hear: "You\re really good at martial arts — and acrobatics too." The elder had simply concluded he must be Jackie Chan.

The anecdote captured something endearing about Son Chang-min: despite 55 years in the industry and a level of fame that once rivaled Korea\s biggest names, he carries his history with humor rather than ego. It is precisely that self-awareness that made his rare television appearance feel less like a celebrity showcase and more like a genuine conversation.

When His Fame Was Compared to BTS

The show\s comedian co-host Moon Se-yoon raised eyebrows — and drew a flustered reaction — when he claimed that Son\s popularity in his prime had been compared to that of BTS, the global K-pop phenomenon. Son quickly denied ever having made such a comparison himself, insisting the show\s production team had apparently included the claim in their pre-show interview summary without his input.

But the numbers tell their own story. During the peak of his fame in the 1980s and 1990s, Son received between 500 and 800 fan letters daily — and even more during school vacation periods when enthusiastic viewers had more time to write. Audiences reportedly became so overwhelmed at his live appearances that incidents of fainting and other reactions were not uncommon.

Son appeared quietly pleased — and mildly embarrassed — by the memories. His career during that era included some of Korean television\s most beloved programs, and his face was, as he put it himself, everywhere. "If you turned on the TV back then, I was always there," he recalled, referencing a famous cola advertisement that became one of the defining images of the era.

The Role He Gave Away to Help a Junior

Perhaps the most moving moment of the episode came when Son revealed a story he had never told publicly before: a selfless act of generosity toward fellow actor Shin Hyun-joon that took place over 30 years ago.

Shin Hyun-joon had become widely recognized — and somewhat typecast — after his intense performance as a Japanese villain in the 1990 film General\s Son. Son, recognizing that the role was limiting his colleague\s career, came up with an unconventional solution while the two were cast together in the 1995 KBS drama Son of the Wind, which also featured a young Lee Byung-hun in the ensemble.

Son approached the director with a surprising proposal: "Let\s switch roles." The director, understandably confused, asked him to explain. Son\s answer was simple: "I want to give him a gift." Instead of playing the heroic lead, Son willingly took on the drama\s villainous role — giving Shin Hyun-joon the hero\s arc that would help him break out of the typecasting that had been following him.

The director agreed. The swap happened. And Son, with characteristic humor, added on camera: "I wonder if he even remembers." The story resonated deeply with viewers, many of whom responded online with admiration for the kind of quiet mentorship that rarely makes headlines but shapes careers in lasting ways.

Son\s connection to Lee Byung-hun — now one of Korea\s most internationally recognized actors — also surfaced during the episode. When Lee was still a young, aspiring actor, Son told him directly: "Come find me when you become an actor." Years later, Lee Byung-hun did exactly that, honoring the promise and acknowledging what Son\s early encouragement had meant to him.

On Professionalism and the Craft of Playing Villains

Son Chang-min has spent much of his career in antagonist roles, and he had strong views on what separates good acting from great acting. When the conversation turned to actors who publicly speak about struggling to detach from difficult characters after a production ends — a phenomenon known colloquially as "acting hangover" — Son was direct in his assessment.

"If you can\t escape a villain role, you\re not a real actor," he said. "Mixing up fiction with reality — that\s being unprofessional." He described his own practice of continuous mental preparation, explaining that he mentally rehearsed scenes even during car rides and quiet moments throughout the day.

For Son, villain roles demand more of an actor than lead roles ever could. "A protagonist just needs the right image. Villains require deeper study, internal depth, and real charisma," he said. He cited his role in the long-running MBC drama My Daughter Geum Sa-wol as among his most challenging and rewarding performances — a character that required him to sustain layered menace across hundreds of episodes.

Discussing his most recent project, the drama Catch the Fortune, Son revealed the physical demands the production had placed on him: sleeping only two to three hours a night for six months, dedicating the remaining waking hours almost entirely to script study. For Son, that kind of commitment is simply the baseline of doing the job properly.

Still Going Strong at 60

What might surprise audiences most about Son Chang-min is that, at 60, he shows no signs of slowing down — and few signs of conceding to modernity. He confirmed during the episode that he still uses a 2G mobile phone, refusing to upgrade to a smartphone. The revelation placed him in the same rare category as the show\s very first guest, veteran broadcaster Kim Dong-gun, who is also famously loyal to his old-fashioned handset.

His dietary discipline is equally striking. Son revealed he has been limiting himself to no more than half a bowl of rice per meal — a regimen more commonly associated with idol group trainees than an actor approaching his seventh decade. The discipline, he suggested, is part of the same professional commitment that has kept him working and relevant for over half a century.

For the Korean entertainment industry, the rare appearance of Son Chang-min on variety television served as more than just an entertaining episode. It was a reminder that the country\s acting tradition runs deep — and that behind the glossy world of K-dramas and idol comebacks, there are artists whose careers stretch back to a time before color television, who learned their craft through decades of quiet, relentless work.

Son\s willingness to finally step outside his comfort zone, share stories he had kept to himself for decades, and speak candidly about what it means to be a professional — all of it landed with a sincerity that variety television rarely delivers. Whether he waits another 20 years for his next appearance or returns sooner, audiences will be watching.

How do you feel about this article?

저작권자 © KEnterHub 무단전재 및 재배포 금지

Jang Hojin
Jang Hojin

Entertainment Journalist · KEnterHub

Entertainment journalist specializing in K-Pop, K-Drama, and Korean celebrity news. Covers artist comebacks, drama premieres, award shows, and fan culture with in-depth reporting and analysis.

K-PopK-DramaK-MovieKorean CelebritiesAward Shows

Comments

Please log in to comment

Loading...

Discussion

Loading...

Related Articles

No related articles